Richard E. Reilly
Richard Reilly brings the sharp strategic instincts of a litigator to the delicate practice of family law. He balances his practice with a compassion for the client and a willingness to fight on their behalf. “We know the issues surrounding family law can be very sensitive and require a soft touch, however, we also show our clients that we are not afraid to take an aggressive approach if need be,” he notes.
Richard honed his instincts while serving five years as a trial lawyer in the United States Department of Justice and the United States Attorney's office. He joined the firm in 1971 after trying literally hundreds of cases, an experience that is unique in a family law attorney. More than anything, this expertise has shaped Richard's passion for preparation. He demands much from his capable and loyal staff and describes the family law practice at GRGB as a “team,” utilizing the skills of paralegals and legal assistants to ensure that the needs and concerns of the client are addressed swiftly and accurately.
Combine preparedness with his skills as a strong negotiator, and you begin to understand what makes him such a powerful advocate for his clients. His uncompromising style serves him well in an area of practice dominated by compromise; so well that Richard has been recognized as one of Milwaukee Magazine's Best Lawyers in Family Law, including divorce, custody dispute and paternity cases; particularly regarding financial issues.
When he is not advocating for his clients, Richard enjoys spending time with his children and grandchildren, rooting them on in their sporting endeavors. He is also an avid golfer and likes to reduce the stresses of his job at the gym.
Areas of Practice
- Business Law
- Family Law
- Complex Civil Litigation
- 80% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Wisconsin, 1966
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1966
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1966
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1967
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1967
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1967
- Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 1966
- College of the Holy Cross
- B.S. - 1962
Honors and Awards
- Named one of the "Best Lawyers in America" for Family Law - 2014, 2016, 2017
- Selected to Wisconsin Super Lawyers, 2005 - 2008, 2011 - 2016
- Named one of Milwaukee's Best Lawyers for Family Law by Milwaukee Magazine - 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Family Law Section, Member
- Inns of Court, Family Law , Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Criminal Law Section, Chairman, 1979 - 1980
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Revision of the Code of Professional Responsibility Committee , 1981 - 1983
- Milwaukee Bar Association, Member
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association, Member