Franklyn M. Gimbel
Franklyn M. Gimbel founded GRGB after serving as an Assistant United States Attorney from 1963 through 1968. His experience as a federal prosecutor has proven invaluable in developing a successful private criminal defense law practice
Over the years, Frank has expanded his practice into civil litigation, including complex business, employment, communications and First Amendment cases. He has represented small businesses and large corporations, as well as individuals ranging from working men and women, to judges, CEOs and other professionals. No person's problem is too insignificant or too complicated.
Helping people is Frank’s passion and the cornerstone of his practice. As he so aptly puts it, “my goal is to ensure that people are better off in some way after I render my services, than when they came in the door. If that is the end result, I have been successful.” He also wants clients to feel that every attorney at the firm is accessible to them. “There is a real team approach here. This is not always the case in law firms. My job is to mirror that behavior so that everyone works together for the common good of the entire firm and most importantly, our clients.”
Reaching out to the community is another important aspect of the GRGB culture. “There is nothing that we do that should be measured by a direct economic impact. Giving back is a crucial part of being a good citizen and neighbor in the communities we serve,” he notes. In demonstration of this mantra, Frank has established an impressive record of community service. In May 1994, he was appointed to a three-year term on the Wisconsin Center District Board of Directors by then Governor Tommy G. Thompson. Under his guidance, the District completed the construction, renovation and financing of the buildings which form the core of Milwaukee's convention business, the Wisconsin Center, the U.W. Milwaukee Panther Arena, and the Milwaukee Theatre. He was elected Chairperson at its first meeting and served in that capacity until 2015. In 2015 Frank was bestowed a Lifetime Achievement Award from Marquette University. The Lifetime Achievement Award serves as a way for Marquette Law School to “honor the ideal of the Marquette lawyer.” The award was presented on April 23, 2015 at Marquette Law School.
Managing a work / life balance is also important to Frank. When he is not manning the helm at GRGB, he enjoys spending time with his wife, four children and six grandchildren. He also takes time to travel and take part in a wide variety of community events.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Complex Civil Litigation
- Employment Law
- 75% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Wisconsin, 1960
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1960
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1960
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1963
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1966
- Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- J.D. - 1960
- University of Wisconsin
- B.B.A. - 1958
- "Plaintiff's Perspective on Police Officer's Liability"
- "Caseload Management: Managing Your Calendar; Managing Your Time"
- "What's Good About Being a Criminal Defense Attorney?"
- "Advice From the Experts & Successful Strategies for Winning Commercial Cases in Federal Courts"
- "Representing Professionals in Criminal Cases"
Honors and Awards
- Marquette University Lifetime Achievement Award, 2015
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Wisconsin Law Foundation
- United States Attorney General Superior Performance Award, 1967
- Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Leadership Award, 1987
- Milwaukee Bar Association Lawyer of the Year, 1989 - 1998
- Community Service Human Relations Award, Milwaukee Jewish Committee, 2002
- Charles L. Goldberg Distinguished Service Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Legal Profession, Wisconsin Law Foundation, 2002
- Judge Myron L. Gordon Lifetime Achievement Award, Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association, 2003
- "The Defender" William Coffey Memorial Award for Professionalism in Field of Criminal Law, 2005
- Named one of Milwaukee's Best Lawyers for Criminal Law by Milwaukee Magazine
- Selected to Wisconsin Super Lawyers, 2005 - 2014, 2016
- Named in top 25 Milwaukee Super Lawyers – 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016
- Named in top 50 Wisconsin Super Lawyers – 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016
- Named one of the "Best Lawyers in America" for Criminal Defense, White Collar – Best Lawyers Magazine – 1983 - 2010, 2016, 2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Milwaukee Bar Association, President, 1976 - 1977
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Board of Governors, 1977 - 1983
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Chairman/Board of Governors, 1981 - 1982
- State Bar of Wisconsin, President, 1986 - 1987
- Milwaukee Bar Association, Member
- Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Wisconsin Center District (Owner/ Operator of Delta Center, U.S. Cellular Arena, and Milwaukee Theatre), 1994 - 2015
- Director, Greater Milwaukee Foundation Board, 2000 - 2012
- Member, Wisconsin Equal Justice Fund
- Member, Spirit of Milwaukee Board of Directors
- Member, Downtown Rotary Club
- President, Downtown Rotary Club, 2000 - 2001
- Vice Chairman, Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission, 1977 - 1982
- Director, Federal Defender Board, State of Wisconsin
- Member, Greater Milwaukee Committee
- Member, Marquette Law School Advisory Board
- Director, Wisconsin Club Board