D. Michael Guerin
When asked why he is passionate about the practice of law, the answer is a simple one for Mike Guerin. “People’s lives mean something.” He joined GRGB in 1975 after serving as a City of Milwaukee Police Officer, as well as working as a special agent with the Wisconsin Department of Justice. While he has been the recipient of countless accolades over the years, the one thing that drives Mike is the ability to help people when they encounter difficult situations. Friends and clients know him to be intensely loyal and someone they can count on to be there in times of need.
Mike’s no-nonsense style has proven to be advantageous in the courtroom, as juries gravitate toward his down-to-earth persona. While his ability to quickly get to the bottom line holds invaluable worth to appreciative clients, his experience and passion give him the unique ability to win over peers and judges.
Mr. Guerin is past president of the over 22,000 member State Bar of Wisconsin and the 2,600 member Milwaukee Bar Association. He holds election to these positions as a profound honor and he is deeply humbled by the professional recognition of his peers. At his swearing-in ceremony for the State Bar, he told colleagues "I don't treat myself real seriously, as most of you know. But I do treat my responsibilities to my profession very seriously."
His dedication to professionalism has garnered Mike the highest annual rating from Martindale-Hubbell (AV), one of the oldest and best-known catalogues of lawyers in the United States. Other honors include distinction as one the Best Lawyers in America as well as designation as a "Super Lawyer," a recognition bestowed on only 5% of Wisconsin lawyers.
Mike focuses his practice on personal injury, criminal law and other civil litigation. As acknowledgment of his exceptional abilities, he has been asked to teach courses at Marquette University Law School, Marquette University and the University of Wisconsin Law School.
In addition to advocating for his clients, Mike is also active in numerous community groups and boards.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Criminal Law
- Civil Litigation
- 65% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Wisconsin, 1974
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1974
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1974
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1995
- Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- J.D. - 1974
- Marquette University
- B.S. - 1970
Honors and Awards
- Named one of the "Best Lawyers in America" for Personal Injury (Plaintiff) - 2017
- Named one of the "Best Lawyers in America" for Litigation, Personal Injury (Plaintiff), 2007 - 2016
- AV rated in Martindale-Hubbell, past 20 years
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer," 2005 - 2016
- Fellow, American Bar Association
- Truth in Justice Award, Marquette University, Criminology and Law Studies, 2007
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin, President, 2005 - 2006
- Milwaukee Bar Association, Member
- Milwaukee Bar Association, President, 2000 - 2001
- American Bar Association, Member
- Waukesha Bar Association, Member
- Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association, Member
- Marquette University Law School Law Alumni Association, Member, Past President
- Woolsack Society, Marquette University, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Wisconsin Association of Justice, Member
- Milwaukee Police Supervisors, Past Board Member
- Milwaukee Police Association, Past Board Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Past President, Marquette University Law School Law Alumni Association
- Director, Centro Legal